Friday, January 6, 2012

Count Your Blessings

This post is about the constant battle I fight as a mom to set the right example for my children. Yesterday we had several visitors in the afternoon. The kids got to go outside and play and get some of their energy out which was wonderful. Like always when family pops in I stress out about my house being clean and whether or not the kids will behave. Silly, I know.

So, my personality is obviously a little high strung and I tend to sweat the small stuff. I am the first person to admit that I over analyze things people say to me about my life, my parenting or about my children. I know that I hold onto things much longer than necessary. I know that I take comments personally when maybe they were not intended to be an insult, just simple, constructive criticism or even just simple conversation.

I don't want to teach my children this bad habit of mine. I would much rather them take after their father who does not tend to read into things and find fault in simple conversation, who is able to shake things off easily, and who can move on without hesitation. I actually woke up today fretting about things said in the past. I am sure this is not normal. When I told Corey about this, he couldn't even imagine waking up feeling annoyed about anything at all. I quickly realized that he was onto something. Instead of dwelling on the little things said or unsaid, I should be counting my blessings. This is what I should be teaching my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment